Friday, January 20, 2012

A look at other bloggers: Fred First

One of our assignments for class was to look at an interview with a well-known blogger, as they talk about their blogs and how they blog in those blogs. Then, we had to write a blog about how we felt about that blogger and their blogs. The one I chose to read up on was Fred First, if that is his real name.

There were a few things I took away from Fred's interview that I found interesting. He started his own blog after being discouraged about a former career, and had nobody to really talk to about it. This is something I can definitely relate to. In one of my previous jobs, I worked for a family member of mine (NEVER a good idea.) One of the managers apparently felt threatened by this, and made it a mission to have me evicted as soon as possible. Most of the co-workers were on my side but couldn't say anything, and talking to my family about it would have led (and almost did) to a huge confrontation. Wisely, I decided to get up on out of there, but it was definitely a very frustrating time and I can relate to wanting to have an audience to air my grievances out for.

Another thing I noticed was that his blog usually isn't very political. He even says he makes it a point to try and stay fairly neutral about topics like that, and instead will talk about "whatever was touching my mind or heart at the moment." I think that a blog should be more open-ended and should be about anything or everything you have on your mind, and does not always have to be about the pressing issues of the day. First also mentions how some readers take exception when he does interject some of his opinions in his work. He says he was angry, understandably so, but stopped himself from posting a heated response back to one of his haters.

In my opinion, while having an audience decide that what I have to say is important enough to spend their time reading it is flattering, at the end of the day the blog belongs to its blogger. If that means losing a few people who don't always agree with every last syllable I type, then oh well. They probably sucked anyway. A blog should be an expression of what's on the mind of the blogger, the same way a canvas holds the ideas of an artist.

Or, at least I think that's what it should be. I still have no idea if I'm doing this right.

No comments:

Post a Comment